What is MMI?
The vast majority of UK dental schools have changed the format of their interviews from traditional conversational interviews to a Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) format.
The format of the MMI is as follows:
- 5-10 different stations (+ 1/2 rest stations)
- 5-7 minutes per station
- Students commence the circuit simultaneously, each starting at a different station and they progress through the stations as you might do circuit training in the gym
The stations cover a wide variety of topics including:
- Why do you wish to study dentistry?
- Why do you wish to study at this institution?
- Manual dexterity
- Research in dentistry
Why the change to the MMI format?
- Easier to standardise across the board, therefore fairer
- Give students an opportunity to start 'afresh' at each station
- More efficient- more candidates can be interviewed at once by dental schools requiring fewer staff
- Tests a wider range of skills and abilities
- Targets areas where it is considered important for dental students to be proficient
- Builds up a more complete image of the candidate and identifies weaknesses
The MMI format has been adopted for a range of reasons with the end result being a fairer interview for all students, it is therefore an interview format that should be embraced by candidates.
©2014 Oxbridge Blues Ltd
Phone: 0117 318 0813 | email@example.com