Happy New Year! Wishing you all the best for 2014.
It would appear that the interview season is well and truly in swing. Dental schools are confirming interviews and setting dates at an alarming rate. As we well know, the key to success in interviews is careful preparation.
This includes reading around the subject to give you an edge in the interviews. If you can draw upon a wealth of knowledge of dentistry you will be well ahead of your counterparts.
Examples of topics that will be useful for the interview:
- Knowledge of dental procedures:
- Inlays and onlays
- Root canal treatment
- Crowns and bridges
- Periodontal treatment and oral hygiene
- Knowledge of oral disease:
- Dental caries
- Periodontal disease
- Oral cancer
- Oral manifestations of systemic diseases
- Basic oral pathology
- The NHS dental services contract 2006 and current pilot schemes following the 2009 Steele Review
- Novel research in the field of dental treatment and medicine
- What is the format of the dentistry course at the institution where are being interviewed? How is it unique?
- Ethics and law in dentistry
- Inequalities in dental care provision and challenges faced by decision makers
- Determinants of poor oral health
- Other general medical knowledge:
- Antibiotic resistance
- HIV past and present
- Burden of smoking and obesity on the NHS
I hope this helps you to make a start with preparation.
Remember, these kind of topics are covered at our Mock Interview Days and by our tutors, so do not hesitate to get in touch if you are looking for more support.
All the best!